Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Vanhojen Tanssit...

Well the Vanhojen Tanssit, or the ball for the 'oldest students' in school, is officially over. Before I go into that, I will go a few days back...to Thursday. Thursday was the day that the second years (or "juniors" which is what I am here) were going to dance the traditional dances at school for parents and family members. Thursday was also the last day of school for the third years ("seniors"). They are done with school so early because they have to study for their matriculation exams, which are in the spring. Anyway. The third years were all dressed in a Harry Potter theme that day to celebrate their last day of school. I don't know how they chose the Harry Potter theme, but it was pretty entertaining.

During my first class, the seniors took over the loud speaker for about a half an hour, then we had a small assembly with them doing crazy, Harry Potter related things with students and teachers. The third years could basically do anything they wanted to that day. We went back to class after that, and soon the third years were preparing to be in the parade. All of the third years from Lahti's various schools were going to be in the parade.. It's tradition. Everyone went outside to see the third years standing in the beds of big trucks, throwing candy to the elementary students. There were even Harry Potter posters decorating the sides of the trucks.. Some making fun of the other schools.. Hah.

We had to go back to class, again, after that. But not for long. The day was short so that everyone could get ready for the formal dance. When I left school the parade was going on, since it hadn't been that much time since it started. There were people, chanting students, and candy everywhere. It was crazy.

So we had our first dance in front of a crowd Thursday evening. I borrowed a dress from my first host mom. It was pretty. The dances went well though, I didn't fall or anything. I can name some of the dances... We danced the Bolognese, Cicapo, Pas d'Espagne, Pas de Quatre, Salty Dog Rag, Lambeth Walk, and the Weiner Waltz. There were a couple others, but I'm not sure of their names. It was really fun though. But, it wasn't over Thursday! The big day was Friday. We had to dance again Friday morning for the 5th and 6th graders. We had lunch and wandered around the school. We went into different classrooms (since younger students had class that day) and made them do silly things... Since we, the second years, are now the oldest in the school. After a bit we headed to a big hall in Lahti, where all of the schools in Lahti would dance together. There were a lot of people there! It was fun as well, but nice when it was over because my feet were killing me!

Then Friday night various schools, including mine, had a party at some hall. It was fun, and nice to hang out with people outside of school. Overall, the whole Vanhojen experience was really great. It is such a big Finnish tradition.

Other than that, not much else is new. We are supposed to be getting some big snow storm soon, or so I've heard. We also have talviloma, or winter break/ski break, soon. Not this coming week, but the week after. I'm excited!

Well that's enough for now..

Moikka!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP