Vappu!
Last weekend was Vappu! ..Or the Finnish May Day. It celebrates the warmer weather and the soon to come summer. Vappu is kind of a mix of Halloween and Mardi Gras. People were dressed in wacky clothes, and wore crazy hair and make-up. Friday I went to a concert with my host sister, and then on Saturday we went to the market square in town. The market square had all kinds of booths selling goods, jewelry, food, and lots of balloons. I also saw many people wearing their old graduation hats… I’m not really sure why though… Haha. Then the traditional Vappu food was sima and munkit, or mead (a lemonade type of drink) and doughnuts. The doughnuts looked really good, but I never got one :(
This is going to be quite a short post, since I don’t have too much else to say. It is pretty major that I have been in Finland for nine months though. NINE MONTHS! I can’t even believe it. And I only have two months left… May and June. I don’t really count June though, since it is consumed by three weeks of Euro-Tour and one crazy week of packing and saying goodbye. Sad.. But May is going to be a great month. It’s just going to be really strange to leave and return to the US. Everything here I am so used to, that I have trouble remembering what my everyday life was back home.
It’s been great living with my first host family again! I really love them, and I am so close to my host sister Veera. I’m going to watch Finland’s Next Top Model with her and her friend tonight :) Haha.
Well.. That’s it for now. It’s so beautiful outside today. Warm, sunny, breezy. It’s amazing what great weather can do for your mood :D Especially after about five months of winter… Haha. I'm glad I'll be in Finland for a bit of summer. The Finnish summer is the best. Summer cottage, lake, sauna, makkaraa (sausage), picking berries in the forest.. Haha, I'm excited :)
Moikka!

2 comments:
Yes Vappu is exciting for even for the Finnish people
I myself am a British Expat though have lived in Finland and Russia 24 years
Hope your stay meets all your expectations
Finnish education is of a high standard and though you may have many subjects to read,it is worth the effort at the end
Post a Comment